Curtain Call

I must confess, I have a thing for shower curtains. Sadly, we only have one shower in our house, and it's already decked out in full attire, so I've learned just to admire all of the fun patterns and colors as I pass the shower-curtain aisle in Target. But a few weeks ago I discovered a way to turn my obsession into something practical.

No, we didn't build a new shower. Although wouldn't that be nice... Actually, my mini closet makeover took only ten minutes (maybe 30 if you include driving to the store) and cost only around $27:


I know, it looks a little cluttered and busy there right now with the bookcase and the circle patterns, but I love it. One of these days I'll paint the trim a glossy white to really help balance out the space (and hopefully make the wall color pop a little more - it's Sage Tint by Behr).

Why did I ditch the door and opt for something that is meant for the bathroom, you are wondering? This closet is in the office, but it happens to be Evan's clothes closet, as we only have one closet in our bedroom. Since Evan gets up at the crack of dawn for school, it just made sense that he store his clothes in a different room. But Evan, like most people (myself included), doesn't like to close doors all the time, so this little corner of the office usually opened up to a wall of clothes, belts, and ties, and the bookshelf was completely hidden. A while ago my mom ditched the doors in my sister's bedroom and replaced them with sheer curtains, so I thought I'd try something along the same lines. But when I was in Target looking over my options, I realized that shower curtains were a whole lot cheaper than window treatments, and most window curtains would require significant hemming. Of course, this shower curtain is a bit too short, but I figured I could add a swatch of fabric across the bottom some day if it bugged me. And for now, it looks kind of like a dressing room at a cute shopping boutique:


... at least that's what I like to think.

Next I turned to my closet in the bedroom, which always sat awkwardly open, usually draped with various sweaters and scarves:

Ten minutes and $37 later (this curtain was more expensive), that eyesore became this:


Ahh, much better. Another reason I chose the shower curtain above a regular window curtain was because shower curtains are meant to be flung open; no fabric sticking to the rod as you try pull it across.  So now I can go from a clean and tidy closed "door" to an open viewing of my clothes in seconds (well, quite possibly one second)!

I'm also loving not having that door jut out into the room. In such a small space it's nice to have some room to breath.


Actually, we have plans for the little space to the left of the closet ....

Which Evan may have started on secretly while I was away the other night. Check out this video:


Progress was made on Project Closet-Enlargement today, but I'm pretty sure we'll be sleeping in a different room tonight thanks to sheet rock dust and a bed piled high with clothes. More updates soon!

2 comments:

Thanks for joining in the conversation!

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top