Got Yogurt?

We are big yogurt eaters. Perhaps it has something to do with Evan growing up on a farm, or my parents fostering my love of yogurt since a young age (I think my dad even made his own yogurt at some point). But whatever the reason, we consume a whopping 10 little 6 oz. yogurts and 1-2 big 32 oz. yogurts a week. That's 92-124 oz -- in other-words, a heckuva lota yogurt! For a while we bought cheaper brands of yogurt because we found it hard to justify spending 30 cents more per 6 oz (89 cents @ Target), and almost a dollar more per 32 oz. But ever since Evan tried his first bite of Stonyfield French Vanilla a little over a year ago -- he was sold. Which was perfect, because I was already head-over-heels!


And now we're reaping the benefits of eating the yogurt -- quite literally! Of course it's already well known that consuming yogurt on a daily basis (especially kinds that are organic and free of high-fructose corn syrup) is good for your health (read more about that here). But with Stonyfield, there are all kinds of other benefits. Like:



Did I lose you somewhere?

Let me back up a second. About a year ago, Stonyfield started putting these codes on their lids


that you can enter online here. Each code gives you a point -- well actually the 6 oz. yogurts earn you one point, and the 32 oz. ones give you four. It seems like it would take forever to earn a reward, but if you are crazy yogurt gobblers like us, you can get 18 points in one week -- which is just two points shy of a free 32 oz. yogurt! When our free yogurt coupon arrives in the mail, we usually truck on over to Lund's, one of the few stores that carries our favorite Banilla. Lund's is pricier than our frequented Target, so we save Banilla for the coupons!

In the past year we've also snagged a years subscription to Whole Living Magazine (formerly Body & Soul) for 60 points. And our biggest reward to date: a Patagonia backpack, priced at $69, for 350 points!



Now, if your only reason for upgrading to this yogurt was to receive these rewards, it wouldn't actually be worth it. We did some calculations on our end and discovered we spent about $105 in our yogurt upgrade before we were eligible to receive the $69-priced backpack. But if you simply love good-quality yogurt and would consider buying the higher-end stuff anyway, why not stock your fridge with the kind that says Thank You every once in a while?



Random E & C Yogurt Trivia 

We went through a stage where we made our own yogurt. It works pretty well actually when you use this little helper (ours looks pretty similar ... we call him R2D2). But it takes quite a bit of time and you kind of need to have a system down. I hope to start that up again one of these days. Maybe after Stonyfield ends their rewards program!

We try and use yogurt in our meals every once in a while. Stoneyfield has a great recipe website. When we make smoothies they are always yogurt based. My favorite smoothie consists of a little orange juice, lots of vanilla yogurt (or plain with honey), frozen berries, and right before you are finished blending -- add a banana. But what makes the perfect smoothie? Popping in a few ice cubes of frozen mango juice!

How the heck do we eat so much yogurt? We always pack a little yogurt in our lunch, and then C typically has yogurt and granola before bed, and E enjoys a bowl a few times a week. C also eats yogurt on pancakes and add it to hot cereals -- yea a little crazy I know.

C's yogurt of choice: when at home, Stonyfield Plain, lowfat (fat free has a weird consistency) mixed with some honey, frozen blueberries, and homemade granola. When on-the-go: smooth and creamy raspberry or fruit-on-the-bottom blueberry.

E's yogurt of choice: when at home, Stonyfield Vanilla, lowfat (not a fan of fat free) either alone or mixed with some granola. On the go: fruit-on-the-bottom strawberry or else vanilla. But his runner-up favorite yogurt choice sings quite a different tune:



What are your yogurt habits? Have you ever tried making your own? Do you like the simplicity of plain yogurt or do you go crazy over exotic and fun flavors? If you don't fit into any of the categories below, feel free to leave a comment explaining your yogurt preferences and habits!






WHAT'S YOUR YOGURT STYLE?


Banilla Stonyfield photo taken from here, magazine photo from here, and backpack photo from here. Yogurt code photo taken by C and edited in Photoshop, and army of yogurts taken by C. YoCrunch photo taken from here.



10 comments:

  1. do you guys like the thick and creamy stuff? if so, do you like greek yogurt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently like Greek yogurt the best -- plain of course -- and 2% or more fat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yes, I made yogurt during college (also bread and sprouts!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got lots of favorites. Right now the greek yogurt is good, especially with a bit of honey and maybe a few frozen raspberries. But my next favorite is Seven Stars, local to PA. The maple is creamy, a bit on the runny side and oh so delicious. Fruit on the bottom is the standby when purchasing out and about....I even like Dannon, although I don't think it's as healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also LOVE Seven Stars Maple...I visited the farm and saw the biodynamic cows walking back into the barn to be milked. The only noticeable difference in the cows' appearance because of being biodynamic is that they keep their horns. I also LOVE Brown Cow's Cream on Top (full fat) Maple...it's typically cheaper than Stonyfield but just as good! Trader Joe's also has some good stuff (I've only been there since coming to CA). Some of the best yogurt I've had has also been the kind I've made! Here is a simple recipe

    Heat up 1/2 gallon milk to 180 degrees.....Try not to boil the milk
    Let the milk cool back down to 105 degrees.....This can take a while
    Once the temp is around 105 mix in 3 tablespoons yogurt (I don't always measure but just kind of add in some spoonfuls)
    Mix in the yogurt thoroughly
    Poor the mixture into canning jars and close*
    Place jars into a cooler filled with jars/bottles of boiled water
    Let sit for about 8 hours-Consistency should be like yogurt but may be a bit runny (its always a kind of experiment!)

    ENJOY!!

    * The reason you place the jars in the cooler with hot water is that the milk mixture needs to cool down slowly in order to activate the cultures and make it yogurt. I also have a Wolf Ridge friend who makes yogurt with dry milk and water and a bit of yogurt and she heats it on a heating pad (slow heat).

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, thanks for all the comments! I do like greek yogurt but not on a regular basis with my granola. I guess I like thinner stuff to mix in with granola. But greek yogurt is good!

    Thanks for all of the tips Karks! I remember when you made yogurt at Wolf Ridge. I'll have to try the Trader Joe's sometime too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a new-found lover of yogurt, thanks in-part to Kirsten and also in-part to a couple of co-workers who were moving and needed to clean out their fridges and had unopened Yogurts!

    My favorite is good old plain vanilla, but I'm slowly starting to experiment with add-ins. Right now, I'm quite fond of adding in "Cats Cookies for People" (Chocolate). Kirsten thinks Evan would probably enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, that does sound tasty and right up Evan's alley! (Did you notice his YoCrunch obsession? Haha...). Cat Cookies for People are from Trader Joe's, right?

    I should've included a poll option for vanilla! And Greek yogurt too, since that is so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. CCfP are from Trader Joe's. The YoCrunch looks delicious, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I guess it's about time I weigh in on this topic. I like a few different kinds of yogurt. To take in my lunch easily I am a fan of fruit-on-the-bottom, usually the mixed berry flavor. Dannon is good (i know, not as healthy) and so is the Trader Joe's version. At home I enjoy mixing vanilla or plain yogurt with fresh or frozen berries and granola. Honey is delicious in plain yogurt as well, especially in the Greek or Turkish style yogurt. I had a lot of that when I studied abroad in Finland. I'd eat it like dessert sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top